- 1 1/4 cup(s) cake flour
- 1/4 cup(s) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) baking powder
- 2 stick(s) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup(s) whole milk
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup(s) sugar
- 1 pinch(s) salt
- 1 1/2 cup(s) heavy cream
- 1 1/2 pound(s) milk chocolate, finely chopped
- Shaved milk chocolate, for garnish (optional)
2. In a medium bowl, whisk cake flour, cocoa, and baking powder. In a medium saucepan, melt butter in milk over low heat. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool slightly. Whisk in egg yolks and 1/2 cup of the sugar. Add the dry ingredients and whisk until smooth.
3. In a clean bowl, beat egg whites with salt until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining 1/2 cup sugar and beat at medium-high speed until whites are stiff and glossy. Fold beaten whites into the batter until no streaks remain. Divide batter between the pans and bake for 25 minutes, until the cakes are springy and a toothpick inserted in the centers comes out clean. Transfer the cakes to a rack and let cool completely.
4. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, bring cream to a simmer. Put chocolate in a heatproof bowl and pour hot cream on top. Let stand for 3 minutes, then whisk until smooth. Let frosting stand at room temperature, stirring occasionally, until thick enough to spread, about 1 hour.
Tips & Techniques
The cake can be made ahead and refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3 days.